Artist seeks to convey smooth, flowing elements of nature in work

A river has always run through Scott Reuman's life; now it runs through his art.

The owner of Conundrum Designs, based in unincorporated Boulder County between Boulder and Nederland, has spent much of his recreational time on the water, and he has found a way to incorporate smooth flowing elements of nature into his artistic and functional designs.

"A good part of my inspiration comes from my love of water," Scott says. "I grew up sailing with my father and then I took up kayaking. One of the things that stimulates my imagination a lot is rivers and flowing water, but also flowing, moving anything. We take rounded things from nature and build sharp-cornered, squared living spaces, so I put lots of curves in my work.

"There's such smoothness to water when it flows in a laminar fashion," he adds. "The water will go from perfectly smooth to violent chaos in a matter of inches, and then it'll flow smooth again."

Scott feels he is able to show that transition in his River Series™ of art and furniture, which have flowing, moving designs with inlaid dyed resin in a matrix of wood or other medium so light shines through the resin. While it vaguely resembles stained glass, its final effect is very different, he says.

He has used this method in doors, dining tables, decorative wall lighting, ceiling panels and nonfunctional sculpture. With his blue inlaid resin, the art and functional pieces he makes look like a river is running through them.

But Scott's work was once quite different. When he first started his business in 1979, his focus was commercial art (he has degrees in both engineering and fine art) for advertising, catalogues and event promotion. But he found his creative side calling him, and he eventually switched to fine art.

"In the early ’90s, I started shifting to more fountains and a variety of sculptures in different media," he says, noting he now does art in wood, metal, stone and some synthetics.

Scott still does a little photography, decorating a few businesses around Boulder and selling some of his work to magazines, but his focus is on sculpture and furniture for homes and businesses.

"I enjoy the creative aspects of whatever I do as long as I have the opportunity to work outside of the box," Scott says. "I’ve created ways to stay away from a box that are unique, refreshing and a change of pace. I absolutely love problem solving, and I love problem solving when it involves creative solutions."

While Scott also enjoys writing and has written professionally, it’s something that takes a back seat to his art. And despite the economy, Scott has plenty to keep him busy when he’s not kayaking through the Grand Canyon.

"I'm booked between three and six months in the future right now, which is pretty good in this economic environment," he says. "Ninety percent of my work do is done by commission; the rest is speculative art and goes to galleries and in shows."

For more information about Scott Reuman or Conundrum Designs, call (303) 442-0406; or visit www.conundrumdesigns.com.